










The other day I was working on cleaning up my laundry room. And in the corner was a laundry basket that was 1/2 way full of unmatched socks. Every time I do wash it seems like I have a sock that doesn't match.
Whatever happens to the missing socks I don't know. I have long thought that the theory that the dryer eats them, is a pretty good one! I worked through a plan to try to match as many of these socks as I could. I first of all sat down to see if there were any matches in this pile that I might have missed before. I did come up with a few matches but as this was the pile of unmatched socks many of them did not have a mate. So I laid all the socks out, separating them by color. Most of the socks were either white or black. The next step in my plan was to go to the drier and see if any socks were left inside. Unfortunately, I found no missing socks there. Next I went to every room in the house looking under beds trying to find an odd sock here or there. The Hunt was on! This search proved successful as I found three abandoned socks. (I did find a matched pair of socks under one bed.) So I took the odd socks and washed up all my whites and colors to see if any of my mates where in the dirty wash. Then I sat down once again trying to be a MATCH MAKER. I did end up matching a few more socks. As I was looking over all of my unmatched socks ,it was beyond me how I get socks in our house that do not belong to any of us. I had a cute pair of socks with a froggy on them. But that was one of those odd socks that I knew was not ours. Maybe you are reading this and see one of your MISSING IN ACTION socks in my sock pile. While I was on this quest to match socks I have to ask myself several questions. 1. How holey is too holey? So I was able to say good-bye to several socks that were no longer wearable. 2. How close of a match do the socks really need to be? As you can see I have two nice dress socks that are pretty close and yet they are not a match. But in the end how much do people REALLY look at your socks. So those two dress socks did pass the test and were a match. This quest did end up giving me about a dozen more matched socks. I was able to come to terms with the fact that some of these socks have been unmatched for a LONG time and just needed TO GO. I still do have a pile of unmatched socks, although it is much smaller then when I started. Well, this post has been odd and yet I know some of you out there who have more then two children, can feel my pain, as I can feel yours with your pile of unmatched socks. Maybe we should ask the MATCH MAKER how he does it.
No comments:
Post a Comment