

There is plenty of snow on the ground but in three months our students will be in the middle of building their jungle camp houses and almost ready to move up into the bush. Therefore it was time to do our class on pressure canning meats. As you will remember there is no electricity in our bush homes so pressure caning meat is the only safe way to store meat. Pressure canning was a total foreign concept to this city girl. But 24 years ago Vern and I worked together on pressure canning our meat for jungle camp. It was a positive experience and my grandmother bought me my own pressure canner to bring overseas. Many missionaries do not have to use this method overseas but there are still some who do. So this is a valuable skill to learn in case you are one of those people who do use pressure canning overseas. Although I didn't do a lot of pressure canning I did pressure can a whole cow on the field. I also canned other smaller things as well. Yesterday we went through the steps and all the procedures to pressure canning meat. In the next months now before jungle camp all our students will have the opportunity to pressure can their meat. If you have never tried pressure canned meat it really is quite tasty.
1 comment:
Ode to pressure canning! It looks gross but oh so delicious. We wish we had our own pressure canner.
Post a Comment